7.12.06

Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away & Cars


Today, I saw "Spirited Away", by Hayao Miyazaki (hope I got his name right the first time I'm typing it out). It is a fantastic animation movie, which deserved the oscar it earned. This is 4 weeks after I saw "Howl's Moving Castle", which permanently made me a Miyazaki fan. Then 2 weeks ago I saw Pixar's Cars. All three are great animation movies. In Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away the imaginative genius of Miyazaki just steals the show with stunning visuals and well thought out scenes. In Cars , you could definitely feel that John Lasseter (who coincidentally starts off the DVD version of Spirited Away introducing Miyazaki and those who don't know who that is.. go and watch Luxo Jr. by Pixar) can make any movie scene with just cars in it, like for example a courtroom scene.. If you notice closely even small insect cars make a cute appearance. After watching "Howl's Moving Castle", I was simply mesmerized by the music/OST that the movie has. I've been hearing the theme song every night since that day before I sleep( or maybe repeat it as I sleep) .. Simply amazing and fits the story/screenplay perfectly. The characterization in all the three movies leave you with memories of characters which are not human/not of this world etched forever in your brain. Lightning McQueen, Mator, The Doctor and those 2 Italian cars (I loved the one which I put up in the above image, go see the movie and you too will fall in love with that) in Luigi's tires just steal the show from "Cars". Calcifer (and Billy Crystal who voices him) , Sophie and Howl just keep you mesmerized in "Howl's Moving Castle".

Just watching these movies gives me inspiration and gives me enormous hope when I think about my future in the same entertainment industry, be it games / animation / movies.

1 comment:

masterchiefmams said...

Hi arun,
I completely agree with you about Hayao Miyazaki... he is a genius. I bought the Spirited away DVD about a year ago, and it is still one of my prized possessions. Absolutely mesmerising.... i loved it.
I did not have time for his other movies ..but will try to watch his entire 'studio ghibli' collection!
The Japanese way of cartooning is entirely different and not as predictable or corny as the american style.
Which is why if you want to be a successful gamer... you CANNOT do it without the japanese perspective.. not only in cartooning but in gaming as well.
Saying that... Cars is an amazing movie as well (in its own way) ...it appeals to a worldwide audience and kids. But Miyazaki is mainly for an 'intelligent' (nerdy?!?) audience like us!